Restoration & Reproduction
Whether you want to restore or need reproductions of your wood windows, Restor Wood Windows offers a variety of services to help bring your windows back to life.
If you don’t see a particular service below, contact us for a free evaluation.
Wood Window Restoration
If you want your windows completely restored, we recommend the Full Restor. Below is a complete break down of the steps we take during the Full Restor process:
- Remove the sashes from the frame and take back to the shop
- Remove glazing and glass utilizing custom steam boxes (can result in loss of up to 20% of glass which must be replaced)
- Our pro-grade heat guns help remove all paint back to the original wood
- Gently sand with 100 – 150 grit on our commercial grade orbital sanders
- Reinstall glass and glaze with Sarco Type M Glazing Putty
- Paint with Alkyd Fast Dry Primer and top coat with Waterborne Alkyd Urethane in the color of your choice
- Full Mechanical – additional fee ($225/window)
It’s a fairly detailed and lengthy process that can take anywhere from 8 – 10 weeks. Once completed, your wood windows will look refreshed and restored to their original beauty!
$125 / sash
If you want your windows restored but prefer not to be without your windows, we recommend the OnSite Restor.
Below is a summary of the process:
- Remove the sashes from the frame and take outside to our portable Restor Shop
- Remove loose glaze from glass and reglaze with Sarco Type M Putty
- Scrap loose paint and gently sand – sashes will still have paint on them
- Full Mechanical – additional fee ($175/window)
$45 / sash
We understand window restoration can be costly. That’s why we began to offer a Soft Restor to professionally restore wood windows to a point where they are ready to be painted. Here is what is included:
- Lightly scrap sashes
- Remove remaining loose paint with commercial orbital sander
- Full Mechanical – additional fee ($175/window)
Short, sweet and gets the sashes working much smoother!
Note: Does not include glazing.
Need your wood windows painted?
Onsite Restor and Soft Restor do not come with painting. If you would prefer to have us paint your windows, there is an additional charge of $100 per window. Otherwise, you can have your painters complete the restoration process.
Wood Window Reproductions
Utilizing techniques that have been handed down for the last two hundred years from master craftsmen, we recreate hand made authentic and historically accurate reproductions of your wood windows. Below is an overview of what the process will look like:
- Take exact measurement of your current sashes and window frame
- Create reproductions in our shop here in Oklahoma City and deliver to your home
- Remove the existing sashes
- Lightly scrape window frame to remove loose paint and caulk residue
- Full Mechanical – additional fee ($225 / window)
Much like restoration and depending on production, the entire process can take anywhere from 6 – 8 weeks as well. Your new wood window reproductions will bring renewed life to your home and will be built to last another 50 – 100 years.
RESASH wood Windows
authentic • historically accurate • Made In Oklahoma City
ReSash Wood Windows is our line of authentic reproduction wood windows that we produce right here in our local shop and installed by our professionally trained craftsmen.
On every wood window project there are standard services that often need to be done. Broken glass. Sash ropes are gone. While most are optional, hiring our professional installers help ensure your wood windows are done correctly.
Below are a few of the standard services and the approximate costs for each as some vary depending on the price of materials. Once we complete your free evaluation, a complete list of all fees will be included.
$165 – $225
This is the most common service we provide for wood windows. The purpose of the Full Mechanical is to allow us to replace broken sash ropes and get both your upper and lower wood window sashes in full working condition.
The only time we charge $225 is if we are installing ReSash Wood Windows as there is more work involved in the process due to removing the existing sashes and installing new ones.
A Full Mechanical includes the following:
- Remove interior window stop (inside trim)
- Remove lower sash
- Remove parting bead
- Remove upper sash
- Cut pocket doors in the window frame to gain access to window weights
- Lightly scrap the frame to remove loose paint and caulk residue
- Attach new sash cord to weights
- Install new parting bead
- Reinstall sashes and trim
$75 + Cost of glass
Covers the labor to replace a common pane of glass. Here is the process:
- Remove glazing
- Take out existing glass
- Place new glass in opening
- Install glazing points
- Reglaze with Sarco Type M Glazing Putty
- Use dust compound to remove excess glazing
Note: the new glass will still need to be cleaned but please wait at least one week before using any type of window cleaner to ensure the glaze is completely dry.
$50 / Sash
Over the years glazing can become brittle, dry and fall out. Window glazing is important in that it provides a first line of weatherization so it’s crucial to get this repaired as quickly as possible.
- Remove loose glazing
- Apply new Sarco Type M Glazing putty
- Use dust compound to remove excess glaze
Note: Your windows will still need to be cleaned but please wait at least one week to allow the new glaze to dry. An additional fee of $150 per window is added for all upstairs windows if done from the outside.
need to know
We want you to be aware that when working on your wood windows there are some unexpected things that can happen. It’s part of owning a historic home as you are well aware of by now! So we created a page with some of the possible situations to make you aware of these issues ahead of time.
Not every window job needs these services but we do offer them as a courtesy for our clients that would prefer we handle their project from start to finish.
$50 and up / SASH
Having wood windows means dealing with a drafty house. Wrong!
With modern improvements and technology, it is possible to stop the majority of leaks coming in around your wood windows.
Our weatherization process offers multiple degrees of protection depending on the level of comfort you would like to achieve:
Basic Weatherization : $50 / Sash – Bronze weatherstripping on the side, top and bottom of frame. It’s old school and provides a good level of protection.
Advanced Weatherization : $75 / Sash – We install Q-Lon weatherstripping on the lower meeting rail to seal the gap between the upper and lower sash. On the inside of the upper and lower sashes, a low pile felt weatherization strip is placed to prevent air leakage on the sides.
Premier Weatherization : $100 / Sash – On the top of the upper sash and the bottom of the lower sash, we insert a silicon bulb strip. The Advanced Weatherization is included with this package.
We would be glad to come by your home to review the needs for your wood windows and provide you with a free evaluation, estimate and timeline for when we can get started.
Text or call the number below or fill out the short online form to the right and one of our Restor Wood Window Specialists will contact you shortly to schedule a free window evaluation.